Many thanks for the call
Thank you for the opportunity to sit down and brainstorm around this project.
At Timber & Frame we craft stories because we believe they are the most effective tool to support businesses in achieving their most critical objectives. There are many opportunities for this APX Net video project to create something that not only achieves your marketing objective, but also pushes the boundaries for how a business in your industry can connect with your B2B customers on a deeper level (and that gets us pretty excited!).
In this proposal, we have consolidated our ideas for how we believe our team can best tell your brand’s story in a way that stands the test of time. You will find two budget options outlined below, both with varying degrees of production value and concept.
But before we get ahead of ourselves... meet the T&F Team.
The T&F Team
Timber & Frame is an EMMY award winning production company that makes films around the world. We have offices located in Portland, ME and New York City and we specialize in filming real people to create intimate poignant films that blend the lines between documentary and commercial production. In our experience we have found that this is the type of filmmaking that deepens connections between brands and their consumers.
Over the past 6 years, we have had the privilege of making films for Motorola, Swarovski, National Geographic, United Nations, and Country Crock among many others. We spend our extra time creating feature length documentaries about issues we are passionate about. Our current film, about the creation of America's controversial new national park in Maine will be entered into competition at Sundance this fall. Needless to say, we like to stay busy.
You can see more of our work on our website
In our conversation together you noted the importance of creating a video that allows APX Net to be perceived larger to allow your prospects to see that your offerings are competitive with the biggest of competitors in your space. We want to do this while explaining your key differentiators in your offerings and why a prospect should choose your solution over others.
But how do we tell that story? How do we visualize the ways APX Net is the better solution for your prospects?
We have some ideas:
Story. Regardless of scope of project the objective is the same. We believe a voice over driven narrative with video footage of relatable aspects to your business offerings and the industries you service is the best approach for this video.
Moment. We choose the best times of day, people and locations to film, and create an atmosphere where people and moments are authentic and real. Through thoughtful and strategic direction we are able to create real moments of laughter, introspection and wonder on screen: genuine moments of business owners while they reflect on their business, determination and focus of the warehouse workers, etc…
Diversity. We take great pride in usurping stereotypes when it comes to gender, class, sex and race. As filmmakers it is our responsibility to stay woke to the role we play in perpetuating stereotypes through the media we create. By being conscious of casting and storyboarding we will not let ourselves say anything we don’t mean to say through our visuals.
Look & Feel
Our team puts just as much time and effort into the pre-production of our films as we put into the production of them.
By scouting locations and storyboarding scenes we ensure that the time we do spend filming is as productive as possible so we can support your organization in fulfilling its mission. This won’t take any additional time on your part, but we will need as much information about the people, places, and organizations we will be filming at the start so we can prepare.
Building on the fundamentals of the documentary form we will increase production value through cinematic sensibility. Low depth of field and primarily backlit imagery will create a sense of the ethereal. By focusing our shooting around the “magic hours” of natural light that happen in the hours just before and after sunrise/sunset we will achieve the golden quality that many films try to fake with big lights. There is a realism and a power to using natural light that is difficult to fake. See imagery examples throughout this proposal for examples of this.
We will utilize z-axis camera moves using a gimbal camera stabilization system instead of pan or tilts in order to achieve a more engaging and cinematic sense that will bring our audience into the world of the APX Net experience.
Below you will find the breakdown of two options for this production and their respective budgets. Option 2 offers an opportunity for our team to cinematically get involved in the production. As you will notice in the concepts outlined below, the budget will affect the capacity to which we are able to cinematically tell this story.
Budget Option 1
A more budget friendly alternative to achieving the objectives you’ve outlined in our call. This option would utilize high quality stock video to be the visuals that tell your story with voice over narrative.
We would work closely with your team to craft a script that helps tell the most important aspects of your business offerings in a 60 second concept with up to 20 different stock video scenes.
Keep in mind that although this will fall in your initial budget range and we do intend to find the most quality stock imagery we can, there is still the opportunity for businesses to feel that this video could be using less original imagery that is accessible to any business.
Here is an inspiration reference for Budget Option 1. Please keep in mind that this is to give a feel for budget and creative opportunities utilizing stock video:
Budget Option 2
- This is where APX Net could best utilize our team to produce a completely unique video. Giving our team the latitude to do what we do best which is capturing moments through the lens to bring unique and authentic scenes to this 60 second video.
- The benefit of investing now in this option is that there is a longevity to this video. It's the type of video that APX Net can grow into, instead of having a video that you could quickly outgrow.
- Our team will work with you on scripting and concepting and from there we will deploy our team to capture completely unique imagery to APX Net that not only will be utilized for this video, but you can utilize in future productions as well.
Here is an inspiration reference for Budget Option 2. Keep in mind that although this video likely has a $1M budget, the concept, aerials, cinematic scenes, and voice over originality are what we would be looking to bring into a piece for APX Net:
Once we have agreed on a direction for the type of video you would like to begin creating, we will then begin finalizing the project scope with your team so that we can begin with Pre-Production phase as soon as possible.
Pre-Production is where we will spend even more time ideating, storyboarding, and planning the production itself with your team and ours.
Budget Option 1
"Voice Over and Stock Imagery"
$6,000 - $10,000
- Full concept development from initial brainstorm to final delivery
- Scripting with two rounds of client revisions during drafting process
- Researching and compiling a library of 20+ stock footage clips to be primary visuals
- Casting, recording and directing a professional voice actor to perform voice over. Multiple voice options provided to client for review and approval
- Royalty free music with multiple options provided to client during editing process
- Full post-production services done in house including editing, coloring, sound mixing, simple graphics and final exports
- Two full rounds of client revisions during the editing process
Budget Option 2
"Voice Over and Original Imagery"
$30,000 - $35,000
*Option 2 includes everything in Option 1 with these additions/changes:
- We shoot original footage, and intercut it with some supplemental stock imagery to show scope
- APX Net will have more control over the concept of the scenes and we can create original scenes that hit on each of APX's services
- Creating a library of footage unique to APX Net that could be used for future video projects
- Multiple shooting days with multiple scenes shot per day with actors
- 4-5 person crew including top tier commercial director, producer, cinematographer and lighting specialist
- Original musical composition created by our in house award winning multi-instrumentalist composer, Micah Tewers
- Shooting with the Sony FS5 which is capable of filming at RAW 4K resolution and high speed slow motion at 240 frames per second at 2k
- Shooting with the beautiful, almost ethereal Zeiss Super Speed lenses, the same lenses used in shows like Handmaid's Tale
- Professional Steadicam operator for beautiful sweeping camera movement with the equipment that has been industry standard in Hollywood for decades and has yet to be beaten by any new gimbal technology in reliability and quality